Thursday, October 10, 2013

Feminism: Is it just for women?

Is feminism just for women?

No, It isn't. As an aspiring sexologist or gynecologist, I don't think it is. All women should be feminists and they should all support women's rights causes. Now, we all know that some women do view themselves as property and feel as if men are better than them simply because men have an XY chromosome instead of an XX.

Why do some women value themselves as property? Some women have been brain washed all of their lives to think of themselves as dirt. After all, Christian*, Jewish and Islamic faith systems believe that women came from men. Religion plays a major toll in how people view others. 

Back to Feminism. Why do men think it is shameful to be called a girl? Women go through the physical and emotional strains of childbirth. They suffer more those ten months than men ever think about. I think the reason men find women shameful is because they have been taught all of their lives that women are less than men. Sexism and racism have the same roots. Sexism has to be taught, you aren't born a sexist.

I think women have a strength like no other. Look at Rep. Wendy Davis (D-TX), she stood and talked for eleven hours. She strained her bladder and her hamstrings to stand up for her rights. She, like many other women, battle ever day to be respected and to be taken seriously. Dr. Jill McDevitt, a renowned sexologist, had a very hard start. Her business Feminqiue was protested against and eventually she was able to open her business about female sexual education.

I'm a feminist because I think being called a girl is compliment. I'm a feminist because I think my mother, sisters, and friends should be treated with dignity and respect. I'm a feminist because I believe that women should get just as much of a choice as men do with reproductive system. I'm Joseph Reed, and I am a proud supporter of the feminist movement.

Feminist Organizations:

Feminist Majority Foundation
National Organization for Women
Feminist Campus

1 comment: